Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Old diary posts

These are some of the clippings from the diary I'd during one of those not so memorable years of my life. I didn't want to lose them, so I wanted to make them immortal by posting on my blog. 

2012 June 14
It has been more than 10 weeks since I'd touched my Math. Feels like a vegetable. 

2012 June 21
I talk to myself in a convoluted and complicated way. Ease out man, ease out. Nobody is taping your daily actions. 

You don't conquer with a single act. You need a series of committed acts. Don't wait to realize such a moment as it strikes you out of blue. When it strikes you cannot fail to notice it. 

Now back to business boy. 

2012 July 13

13/7: A mini replication of 26/11. One of the most wounded metropolis is struck again. People of Mumbai are once again forced to witness serial blasts, tensions and uncertainty. I am seeing all in real time now. As the news of the bomb blasts flashed across the news channels I was shockingly impervious. I was not expecting any casualties. I'd unconsciously assumed it would be a failed attempt at best. As the events unfolded the casualties revealed themselves. People scrambling over mobile phones, land-lines and emails to let their dear ones know about their safety situation. Our organization's newly appointed CEO ordered everyone to stay within office premises at least till the system is taken under control by the police. As the exits were shut people who lived through 26/11 recalled those times. The recollections had the tone of anecdotes though I could sense the underlying horror.

"The Maximum City" book walked me through 1992 riots. The stories I read about the police officers of Mumbai kept coming back in my head. I thought about how they would've had reacted to this. Especially the cop I adore the most, Rakesh Maria. When I saw him on the news channel, addressing fervid journalists on behalf of ATS, I was bowled over by his responses and patience with which he was repeating his answers to various forms of similar questions. He asked everyone to trust his team as they'd never left any case related to terrorism unsolved. 

Trust is what drives the people of this city. Trust in their hopes and hopes that their trust wouldn't be taken for granted. For ordinary people it is the interplay between these two emotions and for the rest of us it is the independence of these two. 

2012 July 31
Indian Railways - It's a vibrant organism. Colonies of people helping, adjusting, relaxing, cribbing, quareling and travelling. 

People are courteous enough to offer lover level of seats to women who couldn't climb up to higher sleeping berths. 

Sample Group: A young lady, not so well kept but has the confidence to carry herself through this world using her taking power. Her mother, not very different from the lady, accompanying her is more rustic in looks and behavior. 

People in regular sleeping coaches are not pretentious. 

Young Lady: "Bhaiyya neeche vaala seat de dona, sone ke liye"
Generous Passenger: Le lo na
Young Lady: Smiles. "Shukriya". 

This generous passenger was earlier allowed to stretch his feet on to another passenger's seat whose feet in turn were resting on another's seat. It's an interplay of intrusion, courteousness and comfort. 

The two women ask the men around if they finished their supper. Men answered yes. Then women then unabashedly took ethnic postures and gleefully talked about their good luck in having had the upgrade to an air conditioned compartment of the train. 


2012 August 29
People sometimes are unapologetic, loud, intruding, discourteous and presumptuous. 

Hollow parties; Hollower greetings and hollowest facades that grace such events. I was one of them though. 

No comments: